Saturday, February 22, 2014

DIY Canvas Art for teenagers bedroom

I was looking for some art work for the wall behind the bed (headboard) in my sons bedroom. I didn't want to spend too much on the art. I spent good time at Ross, Marshals and TJMax looking for something that goes with the color scheme. Also something that's not girly and some thing bright for a preteens room. I couldnt find the one which I liked so decided to try painting one.

Used 4 12-inch x 12-inch Artist's Loft™ Canvases and few folk art acrylic paints. I painted the multicolored one, my son helped me with the other. I wanted some thing muted but has most of the colors used in multicolored one.

Here is the view from foot of bed.

One more from the side.


For the multicolored one, I first drew lines 1 inch apart both ways, randomly filled with different colors. I wasn't happy with result, I layered few blocks with different colors for the 3 D look. Here is the close up of multicolored canvas.

My son is a teen now but still loves it the way he did years back when this was made :)

Thanks for stopping by, Have a wonderful weekend :)

Linking at:
thededicatedhouse , , savvysouthernstyle thissillygirlslife  
myrepurposedlife       bec4-beyondthepicketfence

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Cane Chair Makeover

We needed additional seating in the family room as U shaped leather sofa we have could only seat 6. I somehow didn't like all fabric chair. With a toddler at home, keeping fabric chairs clean sounded like an uphill task. So the hunting for the chairs began until I saw the cane chair in some magazine.

Cane chairs are very special to me. We had cane chair back home in Dad's office room. Every time I look at the cane chair, I can visualize/imagine dad sitting on the cane chair with his morning tea in one hand and the newspaper in the other ....nostalgic... 

I looked at few of cane chair options available online but they were wayyyy too expensive. Searching for these beauties extended to craigslist/ebay for couple of months. Finally I found the chairs I liked. They were in good shape and caning was intact, I knew with some love and elbow grease, I could make them look better.

I don't have the before picture of the actual chairs. Here is how they look now in the family room :)

Now on to the process
  • I gave them nice sponge bath with soapy water couple of times
  • Then sand, sand and sand
  • Primed using spray primer Let the primer dry properly per instruction on the primer bottle (I left it for a week, not that I wanted to, but could work on this on the weekend only)
  • Then spray painted (two coats) with heirloom white. This is my first attempt at spray painting furniture
  • Now comes interesting part. Removing the existing cushion cover and hundreds of staples. I carefully removed the existing cover so that I could use that as template for the new cover. 
  • With the fabric of choice, start stapling the fabric. 
  • Trim the extra fabric
  • Applied the decorative rope trim using the hot glue to cover the staples
  • Gave a coating of protective finish using polyurethane.
Here is how the chairs looked through different stages.

Here is the one with before and after, just for the comparison. :)

This was my first attempt at furniture painting and love the transformation.

Are you doing anything for this weekend? I am looking forward for the long weekend to finish couple of unfinished projects. Cant wait to share them with you all.

Enjoy the long weekend!!! Oops, I almost forgot, Happy Valentines Day!!


Linking at   ladybehindthecurtain thissillygirlslife    frenchcountrycottage                     remodelaholic                                     somedaycrafts    cherishedbliss    serenityyou                                                                                        adelightsomelife  adornedfromabove cityofcreativedreams
sewcando  arttisbeauty                                                                                                               
Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace