We needed additional seating in the family room as U shaped leather sofa we have could only seat 6. I somehow didn't like all fabric chair. With a toddler at home, keeping fabric chairs clean sounded like an uphill task. So the hunting for the chairs began until I saw the cane chair in some magazine.
Cane chairs are very special to me. We had cane chair back home in Dad's office room. Every time I look at the cane chair, I can visualize/imagine dad sitting on the cane chair with his morning tea in one hand and the newspaper in the other ....nostalgic...
I looked at few of cane chair options available online but they were wayyyy too expensive. Searching for these beauties extended to craigslist/ebay for couple of months. Finally I found the chairs I liked. They were in good shape and caning was intact, I knew with some love and elbow grease, I could make them look better.
I don't have the before picture of the actual chairs. Here is how they look now in the family room :)
Now on to the process
- I gave them nice sponge bath with soapy water couple of times
- Then sand, sand and sand
- Primed using spray primer Let the primer dry properly per instruction on the primer bottle (I left it for a week, not that I wanted to, but could work on this on the weekend only)
- Then spray painted (two coats) with heirloom white. This is my first attempt at spray painting furniture
- Now comes interesting part. Removing the existing cushion cover and hundreds of staples. I carefully removed the existing cover so that I could use that as template for the new cover.
- With the fabric of choice, start stapling the fabric.
- Trim the extra fabric
- Applied the decorative rope trim using the hot glue to cover the staples
- Gave a coating of protective finish using polyurethane.
Here is the one with before and after, just for the comparison. :)
This was my first attempt at furniture painting and love the transformation.
Are you doing anything for this weekend? I am looking forward for the long weekend to finish couple of unfinished projects. Cant wait to share them with you all.
Enjoy the long weekend!!! Oops, I almost forgot, Happy Valentines Day!!
http://myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com/tuesdays-treasures-173/ cherishedbliss serenityyou